Building over a public sewer
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Simon king
Labourer
Labourer

Building over a public sewer

Post by Simon king » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Please help!
I am in the process of building an extension, unfortunately the extension will be over a sewer owned by Severn Trent, they have already charged me £169 for that privilege and are now telling me that I must either replace the sewer or have a cctv survey done to Severn Trent's requirements, I have had a quote back for the survey and the company are asking £550 + VAT. £660 seems an awful lot of money to put a camera down a manhole, I live near Birmingham, can anybody recommend a company that will not take the shirt off my back, or offer any other advice?
Many thanks
Simon King

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Building over a public sewer

Post by welsh brickie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:18 am

when the architect drew your plans did he spot the problem.Can you not bridge the drain with lintols?

Simon king
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Simon king » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:59 pm

I have every intention of bridging over the drains with lintels and since I posted the topic I have managed to get Dynorod to do the job for £150. My problem now is that I have two drains, one storm water and the other foul, whilst I have access to the foul and the cctv found no problems, I cannot find any access to the storm, I have contacted Severn Trent, but they have no drawings and cannot help at all and are refusing to allow me to carry on with the foundations until a cctv inspection is carried out on the storm drain. My only solution now is to break into the storm and build a new inspection chamber to allow access for the cctv.

dilwala
Labourer
Labourer

Post by dilwala » Mon May 13, 2013 12:36 pm

I know this thread was posted while back but if the OP sees this, I would be interested in knowing what the outcome was as I am in the same predicament. I have provided Severn Trent with CCTV after breaking into the storm pipe but as there are no manholes outside of my property and they are asking me to create one for storm which I will they want me to magically CCTV the entire length from somewhere but not from the new manhole as this would only be partial CCTV.

And they want me to survey the pipes again to find a manhole for them...

mikalbailey
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mikalbailey » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:36 pm

check these out dial befor you dig natinalone cal.co.uk

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:30 am