Building plan and design software.
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fingers
Labourer
Labourer

Building plan and design software.

by fingers » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:58 pm

I would like to draw up my own building plans for an extension, only a small 3x3 metre extension to the rear of my property with sliding patio door, tiled room etc, which I plan to have built.
Does anyone have a software package which will help me out with the aforementioned drawing up of my extension, which I can then happily hand in to planning for approval?

twofaced
Apprentice
Apprentice

by twofaced » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:20 pm

For drawing up your proposals you should consider using sketchup, a free programme from google. You will find it easy enough searching for it on the web. It will allow you to draw your building in 3D and then from the model take the required views you will need for planning, elevations plans, sections etc. Text and dimensions can also be added to the drawings. You will need to print them off to scale for the planning submission.

Sketchup is a very easy programme to use and no where near as complicated as some of the CAD programmes avaliable.

Sketchup also has a very good and helpfull web based community so if you get stuck the answers can usually be found on the sketchup forums.

good luck!

fingers
Labourer
Labourer

by fingers » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:39 pm

Many thanks for the info. :D

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:45 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Hugh Schkok
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Building plan and design software.

by Hugh Schkok » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:12 pm

IMSI TurboCAD is a great package and in my opinion better than Auto Cad who will squeeze and squeeze more and more cash out of you if you let them. ACad is border limited so If I did take your ACad designs to the USA and you still have 2 years to run. That stops. They wanted from me $6000 to reregister it in the US but only for one year before you had to be renewed again. I told them t o examine and distant choking and they had more chance of posting my ol' Lady on the internet in very compromising positions. They sounded almost shocked. I explained to them that seducing their mothers is not a nice to be known by.

I drove my truck 20 miles down the freeway where I got TurboCAD (I think 14) . I had a problem with the help facility so I called up IMSI, gave them some of my registration details and within 5 minutes hey sent a link to download TurboCAD Deluxe totally free. And upgrades are set at a lower price than starting from new. Do I like it? Without hesitation yes I bl00*y do! Would I surrender it for a weekend of passion in a huge water bad with Emily Atack? YES. That offer aint gonna happen twice.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:22 am