Building regs (fire safety) for wall removal
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JorDec66
Labourer
Labourer

Building regs (fire safety) for wall removal

by JorDec66 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:06 pm

Hi All, i have just submitted an application for building control, to remove a load bearing wall on the first floor of a two storey detached house. We have been asked for structural engineers calculations, which we have now organised, but the inspector is also talking about fire regulations, measuring windows and insisting on mains fitted smoke alarms! All we are doing is removing a wall between a large bedroom and a very small bedroom, so that we can balance them with a stud wall. No windows will be affected and no escape routes etc. The main landing will remain untouched, so can they insist that we fit mains smoke alarms? I know that this they are a good idea, but we'd like to fit them at our own convenience, not theirs! :?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:10 pm

JorDec66,
Fitting a couple of interlinked mains alarms is not a major expense, I'd be more concerned about the window issue, they may insist you modify/replace windows which do not have a clear opening for escaping.
end

AndiePricie
Tradesman
Tradesman

by AndiePricie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:36 pm

The Building Control Surveyor is wrong. You do not need to upgrade anything as you are only doing a sructural alteration. You are not doing anything that will materialy alter the means of escape, and you are not extending the property (i.e. adding an additional bedroom) The situation is no worse than it was before. Challange with his boss or Tech mananger.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1