Building Regs on Purchase - Retrospective Planning Approval and Further Works
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
thepinkpossum
Labourer
Labourer

Building Regs on Purchase - Retrospective Planning Approval and Further Works

by thepinkpossum » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi there,

Hoping (quite desperately) for some good advice...

We are trying to buy a flat - progress has been incredibly slow due to the seller/her solicitor and we are fast running out of time.

The property was re-roofed in January and a copy of the building regs approval was requested in February. After no action from seller's solicitor, I rang the roofer who completed the work yesterday to get a copy. He said that approval wasn't needed, but sounded really shifty and got me off the phone sharpish.

Basically, he hasn't complied with building regs. I think the timbers need reinforcing and insulation will need to be improved. Assuming all other outstanding matters are sorted, we will need to apply for retrospective approval.

So I would love to know:

A). Are council building controllers usually sympathetic/helpful in this situation and
B). roughly how much does it cost to do the works listed above?

We are desperate to get this sorted - any advice really gratefully received. Thanks so much.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Building Regs on Purchase - Retrospective Planning Approval and Further Works

by welsh brickie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:49 pm

if the roof was just reroofed using the same materials then building regulations is not required. Any structural alterations like a new dormer will have needed planning permission.
Also if the attic space was converted from a storage space to a living space then that would need building control inspection.
As for retrospective planning consent that will only be answered by the planning committee, I suggest you have your own structural survey done before signing completion

Cook85
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Building Regs on Purchase - Retrospective Planning Approval and Further Works

by Cook85 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:27 pm

I agree, get your own structural survey done before you get in contact with the planning so you know exactly what has and hasn't been done to the roof.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1