Building Regs Retrospective

Postby meteor1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:20 pm

I have an upstairs bathroom without a WC. I've connected the new soil stack to the drain which comes out from the downstairs WC which is directly above the upstairs bathroom. .I now discover that building Regs applies to this work.
I haven't completed the stack or installed the new upstairs WC.
I want to comply so what's the procedure?

Any help would be useful.
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:11 pm


Simply Build It

Postby arbco » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:26 pm

You need a regularisaton application from the building control department which is essentially the same as any other application. They may accept a building notice although they have every right not to as it is for 'proposed works'. Suggest you ask them and don't worry about being honest!

They will want to inspect any new drainage and plumbing and you should be able to get the form online. The fee is slightly more for retrospective work 20% but you do not pay any VAT!!
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:19 pm

Postby meteor1 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:20 pm

Thanks for the reply and advice.

I wasn't going to worry about being honest. I just didn't anticipate that Building Reg's would apply.
There is other work I'd planned to do such as knocking down a non load bearing wall and making a new doorway in the house. I now see after a chance trawl through some of the DIY sites that Building Regs are into a lot of the work I'd intended. At least now I'll be a bit more wary.

Thanks Again

Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:11 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics