building regs
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gnumpt
Labourer
Labourer

building regs

by gnumpt » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:29 pm

Hi
I am planning to add a porch to the side of my bungalow. the size will be approx 1m out from the building x 2m long.
I intend to keep the existing external door in place which I think makes a difference.
All works will be in keeping with existing.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:14 am

Good luck with your project.

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:27 pm

HI gnumpt,
We now know what you intend to do, what do you want to know?
KB

gnumpt
Labourer
Labourer

Porch & Bldg Regs

by gnumpt » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:04 pm

Sorry, not very clear!
I want to know if I need planning or building regs.
I have been led to believe that if its small enough I dont need planning and that if I leave my existing external door in place, then I do not require bldg regs.
Can anybody shed some light on this?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:41 am

"Sorry, not very clear!"

Yes you are right - I read it as a statement not a question. LoL.

The Planning Regs were relaxed last year in respect of what constitutes "Permitted Development" but local authorities have the authority to overide those relaxations so its best to check with them.

In general terms you will need planning permission if the porch is more than 3m2 in size and it it is closer than 2 metres to the property boundary or the highway.

I seem to remember that PP also applied were the porch to be on the front elevation and any part of it protruded beyond the building line.

You are correct that a porch can be exempt from building regulations approval if you retain your existing front door.

Cheers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1