Building Regulations for Vents in Boundary Wall
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
OldJohnnyBoy
Labourer
Labourer

Building Regulations for Vents in Boundary Wall

by OldJohnnyBoy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:46 pm

If you are an expert on Building Regulations please read on.
My neighbour has built a block of 3 flats right up to our joint boundary, i.e., on the boundary, and has included two vents in the boundary wall, which discharge foul air onto my property. I believe that the vents, which are open, 100 mm diameter, without grilles, are from cooker hoods. Do building regs allow this ? What are the consequences for me if I were to build right up to the boundary and block the vents ?
The flats have gas fired central heating, each vented to a flue on a non boundary wall. There is no further ventilation. When a CORGI plumber fitted my central heating he insisted on an additional vent through the wall in the room containing the boiler. Mine was not a balanced flue, the flues in the flats might well be.
Is auxillary venting to the atmosphere of a gas fired appliance required under building regs ?

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

by arbco » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:26 pm

This is quite common but not ideal. The b. regs do not specifically say that you can not do this but a sensible solution would be to locate away from the boundary. If you wanted to build an extension/similar on the boundary you would be within your rights even if the vents were blocked. Silly I know. It would be different if the flues were on the boundary as this would adversly affect health and safety and you would have to step any extension back from the flue. With regard to the boilers a new property would almost certianly have a ballanced flue which does not require ventilation. The flue ventilates inself!!

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:15 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:04 pm