BUILDING REGULATIONS REGARDING BASEMENT FLAT
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
FROOBIN
Labourer
Labourer

BUILDING REGULATIONS REGARDING BASEMENT FLAT

Post by FROOBIN » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:27 pm

I own a property which comprises of 6 flats which are currently let to tenants. I was looking at the possibility of adding another flat in the basement which currently is not habitable.

What I need to know is what is the minimum I have to do to make it habitable. I don't wish to spend a lot of money on it at this stage and will let it out at a reasonably cheap price. What is the law about windows in a flat? Do I need put any in and in which rooms? I am planning to put a bedsit in there so only part of the basement will be used, everything else will be closed off. I may come back some years later to build a full flat.

Also anyone what the minimum legal height for a room should be?

Thanks

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

Post by arbco » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:09 pm

Your proposed basement flat will require building regulations and planning permission, and the minimum amount of work will be far more than you perhaps hope. The building regulations will require tanking, insulation adequate means of escape, ventilaiton sound precuations etc... This will be considered a change of use for both panning and b regs. Sorry. If you are in a floor plain then planning may not be granted!

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:08 pm

See our project section we have 3 projects in there regarding different types of basement conversion

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1