Building Reulations Part M
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cbsh6
Labourer
Labourer

Building Reulations Part M

Post by cbsh6 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:16 pm

I wish to relocate a bathroom and toilet to the first floor of a house, any help would be appreciated on what arguments I could make to avoid having to retain a toilet on the ground floor. This is an old terraced property with limited access.

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

Post by arbco » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:56 pm

The removal of a ground floor WC is a material alteration as it will adversely affect Part M i.e. the current availability of a WC on the principal storey will be removed. Sorry a WC and WHB should stay!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:30 am

The removal of a ground floor WC is NOT a material alteration to the USE of the building.

CP - you have two conflicting opinions now because we have both read Part M differently so it could well be argued that it's open to interpretation (although I say mines right hee hee!).

Your answer is for you to consult your local LABC to see what they think.

Cheers

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

Post by arbco » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:10 pm

Never suggested it was a material change of use, but the works are a material alteration as they will adversely effect either part A, B, or M in this case. The definition of material alteration and change of use are within the building regulations and not the approved documents. Happy reading Rosebery!!!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:08 am

Yes I take your point but Parts A and B are irrelevant to the OPs question as stated despite being relevant to his overall project. He's probably going to have to make a building regs application irrespective.

Part M applies to new builds or complete renovations. From his initial description this would not seem to apply and in that case would also not be relevant.

There is an alternative position in that he HAS already consulted someone (perhaps the LABC or someone else) who given him information which he doesn't particularly like (mainly 'cos it sounds as though he plain doesn't have the space - but that is pure speculation) and has come here to seek an alternative opinion but without giving us all the facts.

Nobody on here can second guess what the LABC are going to say for his particular situation so it seems pointless advising him anything else apart from consult them.

Nothing wrong with my reading or deductions skills thank you - please don't patronise me. Thanks.

Cheers

matt h
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by matt h » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:27 am

IT WOULD BE BENEFICIAL TO RETAIN THE WC AND HAND BASIN ON THE GROUND FLOOR IF POSSIBLE, AND HAVE A FULL BATHROOM UPSTAIRS... I.VE FITTED SAME IN UNDER STAIRS. BONUS WITH TEENAGE KIDS HOGGING THE MAIN BATHROOM UPSTAIRS :lol:

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1