Builing Regulations for Garage to Office
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gonzo39
Labourer
Labourer

Builing Regulations for Garage to Office

by gonzo39 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi guys,

My wife and I have a large garage and were not sure if the building regulations and such like would stop us from blocking off the door and eventually turning it in to a home office. Obviously I understand that the office may need planning permission but was not sure on the idea of bricking up the door myself.Has anyone else ever been in a similar situation or know if it is ok to go ahead with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Sat May 28, 2011 7:39 am

Usually in this situation you would apply to the local council for change of use. We used to work with some guys that used to put log cabins in gardens for an office & having a summer house needed no permission, but to use as an office did. Also make sure you don't get involved with the public coming to your office as this becomes another area of permission's.

gonzo39
Labourer
Labourer

by gonzo39 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks for your help collectors. Spoke to the council as you advised and everything is now in motion. Just got to wait for some paperwork to come through then we shouldn't be too far off. They did state that if the public were coming to the office that we would have to then take it further by getting new build planning permission.

Thanks again

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:43 am

Ah! My apologies, slight bit of misdirection. The planning was correct, it was your buildings insurance would want to know if members of the public will be visiting & any public liability insurance that you have would need to be informed. (Basicly, they just want more money)

Good luck.

Chris.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1