Bulbs blowing...
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rich Oakley
Labourer
Labourer

Bulbs blowing...

by Rich Oakley » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:51 am

I have a problem with one of my wall lights- the bulb keeps blowing. It was fine until a few weeks ago when the 5A circuit fuse blew. I replaced the wire in the fusebox and bulb and everything was ok for a day or two then the bulb blew again. The fuse has not blown since, but I've got through about 5 bulbs (of different manufacturers). Checked the bulb holder and cleaned up the contacts- no obvious signs of arcing. All contacts are tight. Checked the switch- all contacts good.
However, on the switch (which is being used as SPST x 2), one of the black neutral wires is unconnected- is this correct? One live (red) goes to the common on switch 1, the black (neutral) goes onto L1 on switch 1. Common on switch 1 is bridged to common on switch 2. L1 on switch 2 is then connected to the other red (live) and the other black remains unconnected.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Rich.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:11 pm

Rich Oakley,
Your wiring sounds fine it is common to use T&E as a single core cable.
Unless you are fitting lamps in the wall light which are a higher wattage than is recommended you have just been unlucky.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:27 am