burnt shower cable


Postby Basil20 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:32 pm

Hi,
I had a 9.5kw shower installed about 4 years ago, and just yesterday had some burning smell coming from inside the rcd shower unit, i turned off power and took off cover to discover a burnt live load wire, but the rest of the wires in there were not burnt, i can tell you that it is 10mm cable that was used for load cable to shower with no juntion boxes and only 3 mts in length, the mains tails are 10mm also and it is a 50amp trip sw protecting the shower with a 63 amp main sw
I hope some one can understand what i have explained and give me some clue's to what might have happened, then i can get sparky out to fix

thanks
Basil20
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
36.8%
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:50 pm

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby BLAKEY1963 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:57 pm

[quote="Basil20"]Hi,
I had a 9.5kw shower installed about 4 years ago, and just yesterday had some burning smell coming from inside the rcd shower unit, i turned off power and took off cover to discover a burnt live load wire, but the rest of the wires in there were not burnt, i can tell you that it is 10mm cable that was used for load cable to shower with no juntion boxes and only 3 mts in length, the mains tails are 10mm also and it is a 50amp trip sw protecting the shower with a 63 amp main sw
I hope some one can understand what i have explained and give me some clue's to what might have happened, then i can get sparky out to fix

thanks[/quote]

BASIL20

Possible that there was a loose connection with the live load wire , causing arcing and overheating.
your sparky will need to replace cable and unit if damaged.
He will test and inspect damage and advise u on the cost .

BLAKEY1963
BLAKEY1963
Rank: Site Agent
Progress to next rank:
31.2%
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:57 pm

Postby cumbriahandyman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Basil20 wrote:Hi,
I had a 9.5kw shower installed about 4 years ago, and just yesterday had some burning smell coming from inside the rcd shower unit, i turned off power and took off cover to discover a burnt live load wire, but the rest of the wires in there were not burnt, i can tell you that it is 10mm cable that was used for load cable to shower with no juntion boxes and only 3 mts in length, the mains tails are 10mm also and it is a 50amp trip sw protecting the shower with a 63 amp main sw
I hope some one can understand what i have explained and give me some clue's to what might have happened, then i can get sparky out to fix

thanks


If you are lucky, you will be able to pull through a bit of slack. You will need to cut back passed the damaged wire before you reconnect.
cumbriahandyman
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
25%
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:00 pm

Postby ericmark » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:10 am

10mm cable to Reference Method 100# (above a plasterboard ceiling covered by thermal insulation not exceeding 100 mm in thickness) is only rated as 45A. You shower uses 41A but likely would run with a 32A MCB.

As already stated likely a connection was not tight enough. However with high currents like a shower one can't take chances and the meters required are too expensive for most DIY people to own. So I would get an electrician to test.
ericmark
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1787
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Mold, North Wales.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by



  • DIY How to Project Guides

  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!



 


  • Related Topics