Buying a small holding in France

Postby lazens » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:13 pm

At a recent large property exhibition we were advised to buy a terrain de leisure which is a small piece of land where a caravan or chalet may be erected with the permission of the town council.However it varies from Council to Council whether this is granted to newcomers.
Does anyone know any areas to try?
Also if absent for 9 months of the year how do we best ensure security while away eg in the middle of winter when no one may want to rent?
________
FORD LTD CROWN VICTORIA HISTORY
Last edited by lazens on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
lazens

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Fri May 09, 2008 8:38 pm

I am living in turkey .
I would not buy here or anywhere else .Its the british thing thing to do
is to buy ,I rent any problems I complain to the agent,I have always owed my property, but all european countries rent property and its a
better option.
Your capital outlay is thousands of pounds in the hope of a good return
but if any problems occur your stuck with a property you cant sell.
Here in turkey I make 18% a month interest ,why invest thousands on
a villa when I can make so much in a bank here.
£100,000 will make £15,000 pa so why buy??????
welsh brickie

Postby palwing » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:15 pm

[quote="lazens"]At a recent large property exhibition we were advised to buy a terrain de leisure which is a small piece of land where a caravan or chalet may be erected with the permission of the town council.However it varies from Council to Council whether this is granted to newcomers.
Does anyone know any areas to try?
Also if absent for 9 months of the year how do we best ensure security while away eg in the middle of winter when no one may want to rent?[/quote]

Hi

You could always use housesitters during the off season.

Good luck.
palwing

Postby johnev » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:40 pm

I've had a second house in France now for over 7 years, in a village where over half the homes are holiday homes (mainly from Paris) and vacant quite a bit.
On the day we moved in the people opposite said that they looked after a few of the houses in the road (every morning opening up the shutters, every evening closing them etc.) and did we want them to do the same for them.
Being Brits we, of course asked how much and nearly restarted the 100 years war. "Our house used to be a holiday home until we retired here. It was looked after then and now we do the same. Charge! It is our civic duty!"
We ring them when we have a date for our return and in the winter they turn on or up the central heating before we arrive.
If/when we live there permanently we of course will do the same for others.
As to where this is in France - I'm not telling. Sorry but we chose the area not only for its wonderful scenery and wonderful people but also because we want a French home and not a Brit Enclave.
One tip: when you buy make sure you book an appointment with your local mayor. Just a chat to introduce yourselves. We did this during the conveyancing and by the time we took possession everyone knew who we were.
johnev

Postby sheenashirley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:43 am

nice thread thanks for sharing its highly informative.
sheenashirley

Postby Zombies » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Depends on budget, try looking for a lake with a chalet in the Dordogne (picturesque)

for terrain only best looking coastal or 45mins to
the Vendee or Charente Maritime are nice places, the Gironde maybe or further down towards Biarritz
Zombies

Postby GalTumpson » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:36 pm

I'd try down near Bordeaux. Went down there a couple of years a go, brought a dilapidated farm house that was a bit of a hovel. Fixed it up, made a decent profit, even if me and my boy did have to sleep under the stars for a week as it was in the middle of nowhere. Worth it though, great location and beautiful country
GalTumpson

Sort by
Order by