Buzzing noise from Storage Tank
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
slicer101
Labourer
Labourer

Buzzing noise from Storage Tank

by slicer101 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:30 pm

Forgive me if someone has already asked this question - I cannot find it if they have.
I have a 7-year old condensing system with a Potterton boiler (already replaced the PCB). There is a water storage tank in the airing cupboard and this buzzes. On the front of the storage tank there are 2 dials, one is the timer and the other has a summer and winter setting to optimise efficiency. The buzzing noise comes from behind the front panel where these dials are.
It occurs at regular intervals throughout the day and night and irrespective of whether the boiler and heating system is on or off. The only way to stop it is to switch off the power to the tank.
Any ideas.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:14 am

Immersion heater ? as with alot of electrical equipment the noise gets louder the older they get.

You could replace it - or get an engineer out to make sure that's the fault.

What if you turn the boiler off ? is the water always hot ? I'm guessing the immersion is on to keep the water at a set temperature - therfore will come on at different times.

slicer101
Labourer
Labourer

by slicer101 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:27 am

Thanks. I'm not aware of ever having used the immersion heater, but the water is always hot - i was told that it is heated on demand. If the boiler is off, the water is cold.
I have turned down the temperature dial on the actual boiler which has reduced the occurance of the noise greatly, but not got rid of it completely. The dial was set to MAX which is how the plumber who fitted our PCB left it.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1