cable runs
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ajax
Tradesman
Tradesman

cable runs

by ajax » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:53 pm

hello,

I am just running some new cabling around the house, but i remember reading somewhere, about putting different types of cables too clse to each other. Specifically, I want to put in new phone cables, plus insulated sattellite cables, and new electric ring main cables. Is there a specific distance to have all these cables from each other, or can i run the cables near to each other. I am trying to keep everything away from the electric cables, but not sure if the phone and sat cables can be dropped down from the loft in the same run. Is this ok to do, or will it effect the signals ?

many thanks

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: cable runs

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:14 pm

[quote="ajax"]hello,

I am just running some new cabling around the house, but i remember reading somewhere, about putting different types of cables too clse to each other. Specifically, I want to put in new phone cables, plus insulated sattellite cables, and new electric ring main cables. Is there a specific distance to have all these cables from each other, or can i run the cables near to each other. I am trying to keep everything away from the electric cables, but not sure if the phone and sat cables can be dropped down from the loft in the same run. Is this ok to do, or will it effect the signals ?

many thanks[/quote]

AJAX
Try to have a gap between sattelite and telecom cable when
routing.
keep mains cables away from the above to avoid various
problems that could occur if routed too near to them.
When u mention running ring main cables , as new cabling
being installed in your house , if this forms a new circuit ,
i assume u have taken care of part p IF it applys to
WHAT U R doing.

BLAKEY1963

ajax
Tradesman
Tradesman

by ajax » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:23 pm

yes, part P is all covered by a certified electrician. he's just asked me to run cables from a to b, so save time and cost to me i'm not doing anything else to it.
with regards to the phone and sat - is there a distance to keep them apart ? I have a gap, of around 10cm diameter, from the loft to the downstairs, so if i put sat on one side, and phone the other side, approx 10cm away, will be that ok, and no intereference/problems etc.. ??

thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:44 pm

Regulation 528.2 asks for 100mm between telecommunication and power cables under ground I would say aim for the same above ground as a min. Crossing is OK but not running parallel.
Sat cables and telephone should be OK as either very low signal strength or DC in both cases.
Using the new cable to BS 8436 will reduce any EMC problems as well as allowing to be buried in a wall or ceiling at less than 50mm depth without RCD protection. It is also in most cases to FP100 as well so spot on for smoke alarms.
I will also point out there are Links to Part P and to some of the changes with the new BS 7671:2008 (17th Edition) in Projects area.
There is availably double coax for satellite use so the signal can be redistributed with items like the loft box and when considering telephone I used alarm 8 core cable and used double boxes to allow for fax machine the older ones needed the telephone to be directed through the fax and once a fax was received it switched off the telephones to increase signal to fax. I think the more modern machines no longer require this. Although the 19th Century invention seems to be in decline.
Eric

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:55 pm