cables new and old
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
s1bgs
Apprentice
Apprentice

cables new and old

by s1bgs » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi all my inlaws have had their deviding wall knocked down in dining/living room. switch wire will not reach to wall. can i extend the cable with a JB or or connector block as cannot renew full cable. Also there is a socket now pretruding from the floor which they want removing. It has 3 wires. can i remove socket and join them with a JB.

thanks

the switch cable is a double which also works the wall lights as well as the centre light and is 3 core cpc. can i connect a single switch to this cable. I have taken out the link that works the wall lights because they`re no longer wanted. advise plz.
Last edited by s1bgs on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:42 am

s1bgs,
If JB is accessable you can, but if not, ie buried in wall or in ceiling void you can't as accessories should be easily accessable for future inspection in case of fault, best solution is to crimp the joints as this is acceptable.
Same applies to end socket but not much alternative than using JB to end circuit, you can buy Maintenance Free Junction Box which are allowed to be used for joining cables in non accessable locations.
Hope this helps
KB

s1bgs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by s1bgs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:03 pm

thanks KBrownie for ur reply....... now, ... the switch cable is coloured, red blue and yellow with cpc and was connected to a double switch which i want to change to a single switch, can this be done without changing the whole cable

thanks again

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:13 pm

Yes but you want 2way switch with Com(L) L1 and L2 terminals
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 am