Can anyone recommend an eco friendly lighting system for an extension?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tyke
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can anyone recommend an eco friendly lighting system for an extension?

by tyke » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:25 pm

We are adding an extension (3.5 x 5m) which Building Regs say must be treated as a new build and is subject to the new eco rules on insulation etc I understand that we should specify a lighting system which is 'eco friendly' The room will be used for hobbies ie sewing etc so good lighting is essential
There is not enough room for a suspended ceiling and there seems to be problems with overheating on many systems.

Which type of lighting should I be looking for? I am thoroughly confused by all the different systems

Can someone lighten my darkness???

Thank you for any help

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: lighting

by ericmark » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:05 am

Florescent gives good light but the old tube did not look too good. There are many folded florescent tubes including the CFU used to replace the humble bulb but building control like to see a holder which will not take the normal bulb. So I would think the 2D range of lights is about the best option.

There are two basic types of florescent the old inductive control and the new HF control. But use same tube but the HF does not flicker, no stroboscopic effect, uses less power in the main, and tubes last around 5 times longer so well worth going for HF type.

The 2D come up to 38W and often round about 12" diameter. Osaka Polished Chrome Flush Light is one I looked at classed as a bathroom lamp but I used in a kitchen. I would think 2 at 38W would be ample for a room that size.

The one I got had to be class II so was expensive I got it from double-insulated-lighting.co.uk but since you don't need class II you can get them a lot cheaper.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:49 am