Can anyone tell me what this fixing is called?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jstannard
Labourer
Labourer

Can anyone tell me what this fixing is called?

by jstannard » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:46 pm

One of you clever chaps out there is bound to know the answer to this....we have an Ikea kitchen including several wall-hung cupboards with doors on the front that you lift up, ie hinged at the top. Each cupboard has two [color=red][somethings][/color] that, once you have raised the door, make it stay up/open. Closing it then involves a small amount of pressure downwards. They are about 7" long (not yet measured because am trying to find out what they are first). These could be air based in some way.

Anyway, they have stopped working so we have to hold up the door while we put things in/take them out. But I don't know the name for these [somethings] which makes sourcing replacements very tricky. And no (typical), Ikea doesn't offer spares....

If someone out there knows what I mean, I would be very grateful as would my husband and two children.

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:57 am

Would you perhaps be referring to gas-struts, like those which support the tail-gate on hatch-back type cars? I recall my father renewing one on his car,many years ago, and it was a real doddle.

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:27 pm

Fitted several Ikea kitchens and know exactly what you mean, but not what they are called.

cupboard door stays I think, or door support brackets.

multiworx
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Can anyone tell me what this fixing is called?

by multiworx » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:56 pm

yes they are domestic gas struts and some can be re-gased try sgs engineering they will be able to point you in the right direction.

hope this helps

Bantaman010
Labourer
Labourer

by Bantaman010 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:19 pm

jstannard wrote:One of you clever chaps out there is bound to know the answer to this....we have an Ikea kitchen including several wall-hung cupboards with doors on the front that you lift up, ie hinged at the top. Each cupboard has two [somethings] that, once you have raised the door, make it stay up/open. Closing it then involves a small amount of pressure downwards. They are about 7" long (not yet measured because am trying to find out what they are first). These could be air based in some way.

Anyway, they have stopped working so we have to hold up the door while we put things in/take them out. But I don't know the name for these [somethings] which makes sourcing replacements very tricky. And no (typical), Ikea doesn't offer spares....

If someone out there knows what I mean, I would be very grateful as would my husband and two children.

Bantaman010
Labourer
Labourer

by Bantaman010 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:23 pm

They are called stays, you lift to lock and lift again to release. The can be bought from the major DIY stores just check you get the proper sized screws to do the job.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:04 pm