Can floating shelves be secure over 268cm gap?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SimonJB
Labourer
Labourer

Can floating shelves be secure over 268cm gap?

by SimonJB » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:55 pm

Hi, I've just been looking at the shelving project and thinking about how to put in three solid shelves along the length of a wall for books etc to sit on in my little study. Are floating shelves at 268 cm wide feasible, assuming they have back and side batons as well as a number of centre struts (say 4?).

Thanks

Simon

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:33 pm

it could be possible, but you'd need some wide battens to give the necessary rigidity and strength.

what type of wall are you fixing into and what type of fixings do you intent to use? and presumably MDF for the shelving?

I'd use a cladded batten along the front of the shelves as well (recessed a little, can make a nice detai) to act as a stiffener.

provided you don't overload them too much (books are heavy!) then it should be ok.

SimonJB
Labourer
Labourer

by SimonJB » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:20 pm

I was going to use pine, maybe 3/4 - 1 inch thick. The back wall is masonry, as is the side wall on the right, but the side on the left is plasterboard. Thought I'd use deep plugs on the masonry sections and some plasterboard plugs on the side section on the left.

I suppose it is fair to say that the shelves would never be as strong as with regular solid metal brackets on vertical batons?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:02 pm

i wouldn't just use plasterboard fixings on the plasterboard wall, your shelf is likely to come down - try and pick up a stud or put in a noggin.

it is quite a wide span so no, the shelves will not be as solid as the would be if supported by brackets beneath.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:20 pm