Can i add an extra pump to central heating to improve flow?

Postby austen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:02 am

My house is very long, and the rear part added since the boiler and central heating sytem. The front part seems to have a proper 22mm copper piped in sytem with 15mm spurs going off to the rads. These all work fine and get nice and hot, but the rear part of the house (upstairs and downstairs has been added onto this system as another "ring" with spurs going off to the rads. These rads do not get that hot, and since taking two of them off to decorate the are stone cold. Its hard to explain how its been done, jut imagine a spur being taken off the main system, with sub spurs off that to each radiator. I have been told by an engineer that the pump isn't big enough for the 10 rads and size of house, so suggested upgrading the pump. But i'm not convinced this will help the rear part of the house. I have a spare pump (about the same flow rate) and was thinking of adding it into the rear house system spur to boost the flow around this part. Do you think this would work????
austen

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:41 am

It will as long as both pumps are on the flow or both on the return - you don't want them pumping against each other.

If your existing pumps is old - upgrading the pump may work. this will be less work as, where will you fit the second pump ? how will you wire it ?

htg
htg engineer

Postby austen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:48 am

[quote="htg engineer"]It will as long as both pumps are on the flow or both on the return - you don't want them pumping against each other.

If your existing pumps is old - upgrading the pump may work. this will be less work as, where will you fit the second pump ? how will you wire it ?

htg[/quote]

No problem in getting the flow in the correct direction. The boiler is in the cellar and the pipe work where it all splits is next to the boiler and easily accessible. I'll also just wire the extra pump in from the feed to existing pump so will switch on and off at the same time.

Maybe the pump is on the way out, but is suppose i have nothing to loose as the spare pump i have is free.

I rekon i have an air lock somewhere in the extension aswell, but plan is to drain system, put extra pump in and then refill, fingers crosssed the sir lock disappears.
austen

Postby austen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:19 pm

this is the design, which with my very limited knowledge looks rubbish, and i assume the water is virtually bypassing the 15mm section as the easier route is the 22mm. Why on earth the stop valves were put where they are is beyond me, if they were the other side of the joint then you could close off the 22mm section and pump it round the 15mm section on its own, or at leats restrict the flow of the 22mm section forcing it round the 15mm!.
I have marked up where i was thinking of adding the pump.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/agreenway/crapheating.jpg[/IMG]
austen

Postby htg engineer » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:55 pm

You don't really want the two pumps in close proximity of each other, for example say you have 5 radiators that don't work, install the pump before those but after the ones that are working for best performance.

htg
htg engineer

Postby rosebery » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:00 am

Are you sure you don't have an airlock?

I'd also suggest balancing the system before trying anything else more expensive.
rosebery

Sort by
Order by