can i connect a new appliance to old wiring?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
john1967
Labourer
Labourer

can i connect a new appliance to old wiring?

Post by john1967 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:03 pm

when i had my house rewired about 5 yrs ago i ask the spark to run a new cable for a cooker so that it would be ready to connect to a new cooker when we came to remodel the kitchen, this in now sat in the ceiling void ready to be chased in.
We have finally saved enough money to do the kitchen but i am now wondering if an electrician will be able to finish this job as the cable is the "old colours"
I suppose although the cable has been in situ for a number of years but has never been used that once it is connected at both ends it will effectively be a new wiring circuit .
I am aware the crossover date for using old stock wiring has long gone.
I am hoping the cable doesnt have to be replaced with new as this will mean either ripping up a newly tiled floor in the bathroom or pulling down a newly plastered ceiling in the kitchen
As i write this another point as occured to me - will an electrician be able to use the cable anyway as he has to sign for it and has no knowledge how it was routed ?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:47 pm

Hi John, you raise a valid point (or two)!
It will as you say be up to the leckie. Personally I would take the attitude that as the 'circuit' is substantially in place, as long as the cable tests perfectly for IR & continuity before its chased in and he does the actual 'drop' down to the outlet, (even if you do the chase for him) then no problem.
On another trade only forum a leckie said he could see nothing wrong with using old colour cable as long as sleeved with new colours each end!
I don't agree, but in your case the cable was run most of the way before colour change so I would not resleeve, just connect in as if original.
Ultimately if a later Periodic Inspection Report is done who could know it was done piece meal?
Whatever happens get it in place before 30th June,.....did I really say that???
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:42 pm