can i fit a boiler?
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:00 pm

HtgEngineer is 100% right. If you don't want to listen to him OK go ahead - on your head be it.

Elsewhere there is a qualified industrial electrician arguing that because he's qualified to spec and fit 3 phase heavy electrics then he can do a 20A radial off a domestic CU for his mate. He can't 'cos he's not a registered DI and he'll be breaking the law if he does.

Having said that I agree with you 100% that there are some peeps out there who have all the pieces of paper under the sun but their actual work frequently needs rectification.

Such is life in red tape Britain!!

Cheers

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:50 pm

Sorry - one more thing. Actually you COULD do the work legally and the sparks I mentioned could also do his BUT the only way you can is to get Building Regs first (which is going to involve you paying cash to your LABC) and then having a BCO inspect it during and afterwards.

They will also want to know your qualifications, experience etc etc to decide if you are competant to carry out the work.

You'll spend more doing that than contracting an RGI who can self certify in the first place I suspect.

For you or him to do the work in any other way would be illegal.

Cheers

roger196
Ganger
Ganger

by roger196 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:39 pm

[
[quote="Kenj"]
You may just be right, but I am fed up with the rumur, bluster and bullying that emanates from the HSE or Brussels. If it is illegal to bolt a boiler to a wall and connect up some water pipes, then I for one have broken this law.
Can anyeone tell me just which particular act of law is being broken (ie Road Traffic Act 1977, Para 22 etc.).[/quote]

Have a look at my posts under "Condemned gas cooker" for the statutory position.
If you are still worried, write to HSE asking for their opinion. Ask them how many diy'ers (non-traders)have been prosecuted for gas work in each of the last ten years. You may need to send your request under the Freedom of Information Act. Have a look at the HSE website, linked from this site.
It is also worth looking at the Oxford tragedy referred to in "DIY Gas Work".
Remember this should all be about safety, not preserving the monopoly of a vested interest group.. Do not risk your own life or that of others.

Kenj
Ganger
Ganger

by Kenj » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:11 am

Thanks Roger196.
I did originally say more on this, but my submitted posts were censored out.
They contained no profanities or abuse, but free speech is obviously a casualty when the Moderator can choose which posts to admit and which to reject!

gremlin_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gremlin_1 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:50 pm

Check with your household insurace, see if they will cover you for your DIY amature gas installations/repairs. When it goes wrong try getting a reputable Corgi registered installer to sort it out. if I was called to this type of work I would, and have walked away. Also I do notify Corgi and building control of these illegal gas installations.

ianferguson
Labourer
Labourer

hanging boiler on wall

by ianferguson » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:10 am

GSLUR oCTOBER 1998 ONLY COMPTANT PERSON CAN WORK ON GAS APPLIANCE SIMPLE.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:43 pm

No Ian its not that simple but never mind we had a good debate about this recently. Do a search. In any event this thread is 18 months old!

Cheers

kevrov
Labourer
Labourer

by kevrov » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:21 pm

MY MUM AND I BOTH HAD BOILERS FITTED BY 2 DIFFERENT "CORGI REGISTERED FITTERS AND BOTH INSTALLATIONS WERE RUBBISH HAD THEM BOTH BACK TO FIX LEAKS.

GET THIS THEY MINE TRIED TO CHARGE ME £50 FOR THE PRIVELAGE AND MY MUMS DID CHARGE HER.

IN THE END I HAD TO REPAIR WATER LEAKS MYSELF.

SURELY IF I AM JUST REPLACING A BOILER FIT THE PLUMBING AND THE "CORGI REGISTERED" CONNECTS THE GAS WHICH IS THERE ALL READY.

ITS ALL A CON TO GET MORE MONEY.

AND YES I KNOW THERE ARE SOME COMPLETE MENTAL CASES THAT COULD BLOW US UP BUT DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY GIVE A DAMN ABOUT ILLEGAL OR IF THEY WOULD EVEN TRY TO FIND OUT.......

alexs1972
Labourer
Labourer

by alexs1972 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:20 pm

[quote="rosebery"]No Ian its not that simple but never mind we had a good debate about this recently. Do a search. In any event this thread is 18 months old!

Hi Rosebery..(GSIUR) 31ST October 1998..Part (B) Gas fittings-General provisions..QUALIFICATIONS AND SUPERVISISON.

Reqgulation 3 (1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting unless competent to do so.

Regulation 26 (1) No person shall install a gas appliance unless it can be used with out constitunting a danger.

Regulation 3 (3)

There is a legal obligation to be a gas fitter due to the safety and install of any gas appliance..Carbon monoxide poisions...would you know what complete and incomplete combustion is and how to identy unsafe situation and address it..how to make sure the appliance is working even if you dids not have the manufacturers instructions?

If you are not Gas safe qualifey to work on any appliance you can not touch full stop apart from either topping up preassure or turning of gas valve should you smell gas...any one carry out gas work that is not comptant to do and is reported under (RIDDOR) AND FOUND TO BE IN COMPTANT CAN FACE A (JAIL SENTENCE) THINK ABOUT IT.

There a reason for been qualifed and comptant to deal with these situations not for a (DIY) To attempt..O.K.?

wallflower
Labourer
Labourer

by wallflower » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:41 pm

The regs state 'competent'. Therefore due to the non-specifics that you have to be 'gas safe' it could be interpreted that if you are self fitting and fit the boiler correctly you are competent for that installation.

If you self fit incorrectly, you are incompetent and therefore could be prosecuted.

To note: plenty of gas safe engineers have fitted installations incorrectly but have a piece of paper stating competence - an interesting subject, I'm sure you will agree!

Hope this helps

WARWICK HUNT
Labourer
Labourer

can I fit a boiler

by WARWICK HUNT » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:38 pm

If I cant legally fit a boiler due to my not being "competent " (not corgi regiistered), can I use a previously "corgi registered gas fitter " that has let his affiliation lapse ?

gasmarks
Labourer
Labourer

Re: can I fit a boiler

by gasmarks » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:09 pm

WARWICK HUNT wrote:If I cant legally fit a boiler due to my not being "competent " (not corgi regiistered), can I use a previously "corgi registered gas fitter " that has let his affiliation lapse ?

no as he is not deemed as comptent, gas regs are changeing all time so if its been more than 5 years since is last tests then hes sure to not be up to date on all new regs

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:14 am