Can I paint an adjoining neighbour's wall?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mobrien
Labourer
Labourer

Can I paint an adjoining neighbour's wall?

by mobrien » Fri May 07, 2010 9:25 am

Hello,

My drive adjoins a gable end wall that belongs to next door. ie; the boundary is the gable end/my drive.

This side can't be seen by my neighbours only me and I would like to paint it as it is adjacent to my own frontage and actually looks like it forms part of my house (but doesn't internally nor does it support it).

Can you advise if I need to seek their permission to paint it (as we have some other issues going on between us) or as it is facing me alone, can I just paint it?

Thanks,
Mark.

jbowen5
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jbowen5 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:20 pm

I don't specifically know what the law states on this, but how would you feel if a neighbour with whom you had issues painted a wall of your house without asking, simply because they could see it from their property while you could not see it from yours?

mobrien
Labourer
Labourer

by mobrien » Fri May 07, 2010 10:23 pm

This is the reason for me asking this question.

As I am unsure on the law I was hoping that someone could shed some light on this subject?

D-Mac
Apprentice
Apprentice

by D-Mac » Sat May 22, 2010 2:39 pm

The wall does not belong to you, therefore you have no legal entitlement to do anything to it.

You would need to seek permission from the owner of the wall but I can't see that they would agree. If you went ahead and painted it anyway without permission, the owner has the legal right to force you to return the wall to its previous condition - all at your cost. Any reason why you want to paint it?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:00 am

actually you may find that you CAN get it painted if you can prove that their wall is having a negative impact of your property - could be planning, not sure but i'm pretty sure that, thru the right channels, you could get the work done - whether you could do it or your neighbour, not sure.

only likely to get the nod if the wall is unsightly though - and i'm guessing not, if building and planning approval was ever granted.

if it's not particularly ugly and is in keeping with the style of the properties you may not get very far - if you've chosen to paint your house and this wall looks odd as a result then i'm afraid that you don't have a leg to stand on.

but the fact is that you want to do nothing without the relevant authority!

Masheded
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Masheded » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:49 pm

Hi,

have you thought about some free standing trellis and some passion fruit or similar fast attractive growing vine? Problem solved, and you get some beatiful flowers too. Sound like your neighbours wont agree to anything lol, think along these lines.

Atb
Mash

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:16 am