Can I remove a lacquered finish on a wardrobe?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jush
Labourer
Labourer

Can I remove a lacquered finish on a wardrobe?

by Jush » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:33 pm

Hello, Im a total DIY novice with a large wardrobe from the Corndell Nimbus range that Im not keen on. Its oak, in a lacquered finish. The problem is it looks too modern since we moved to our 1930s house. The wood is quite pale and doesnt seem to be mellowing at all...I have some older, darker oak furniture that just seems to fit the house better and would love to make the wardrobe a darker oak colour too. Is that possible given the existing finish? Thanks!

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:17 am

See our project on paint stripping. The product in there is great and is very gentle on any surface. It does not give off the seriously horid smells of other paint strippers either. Darkening your wood can be done with stains but please start, or test, on a part of the furniture which is not going to be seen. Once stained it is virtually impossible to reverse and there is not one single stain available with the same colour on the tin as appears in the wood because of the many different types of wood grain.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:23 pm