Can I stain my Beech worktops?
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vickster
Labourer
Labourer

Can I stain my Beech worktops?

by vickster » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:26 am

I have solid beech worktops in my kitchen, over the years they have been oiled and reoiled, I have some stains on them from where the kids have left drinks to stand. Could I stain them darker? If so, how?
Thanks.

tclick
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Can I stain my Beech worktops?

by tclick » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:33 am

Absolutely, all wooden worktops of quality will be wood all through so you can treat it as such.

If the top gets too stained you can sand it down with fine sandpaper and retreat it with oils or even coloured oils. But it is always best to use the oil thinly.

Most wooden work surfaces will naturally darken with age anyway, but the odd stains can usually be cleaned off with soapy water, dried and then re-apply a thin coat of oil.

Ressy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Can I stain my Beech worktops?

by Ressy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:34 pm

Beech is a very light wood and of course it can be darkened but depending how much oil you have put on it and how much it has penetrated the grain could be a problem so staining it make sure you use an oil based stain. You could find you get different tones depending what staines you already have from the kids accidents. There are some very good web pages on wood stains, good luck

Ressy

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:33 pm