Can I turn off electric water heater?

Postby s4room » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:00 pm

I just moved into a flat. At old address, gas boiler was used. Now, everything in the flat uses electricity. I'm new to electric water heater and do not really understand how it works. I find out that the electric water heater is powered on 24/7. Can I turn off the heater when I do not use it, and switch it on when I'm about to use it, e.g. shower?

There are two wall mounted convector panel heaters in the flat. Thus, I think the water heater only provides hot supply for shower and taps.

The model of water heater in my flat is "OSO 20 RD125 (DIRECT model)".
Google ""

The specifications of the water heater is:

There are several AC main power switches around the heater:

There is one switch labelled as "Isolator". I'm not sure if it is for the heater. If it's, please advise its function in the heating system.

Close-up view of switches. There are four red leds on the TIMER panel, and all of them are ON. What does it mean?

The hot water output pipe is insulated.

[1] Should I turn it off if I use the water heater model as described above?
[2] Should I turn both (4) and (5) switches off, or only either of them?
[3] What is the function of the ISOLATOR?
[4] Any idea how does the timer work?
[5] Is it safe to switch it off during winter? Will this cause damage to the water pipe?

Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby chris_on_tour2002 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:03 pm

don't seem to be able to look at your pics - can you use an alternative website to post them on?

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!