Can i use air compressor with masonry paint?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can i use air compressor with masonry paint?

by fix » Wed May 14, 2008 9:02 pm

Hi im wanting to paint the outside of my house which is 3 walls in total.

Im wondering if its possible to use my air compressor to do the job,i dont air line would reach the top of the house but not far off.If i could use the compressor for most of the job it would speed things up alot.

Does anyone know if the paint would be too thick to go through the compressor or whether i could think it down abit?

Also would gravity not allow the paint to go up an air line the height of a two story house?

Thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu May 15, 2008 8:26 am

Considering you can spray concrete onto walls to repair them I watched this being done on a bridge it is possible but as too how much air it requires and what type of spray gun that's another question. We had a special gun for underseal but the large three phase compressor was running flat out when we used it. And the paint did not go through air line but had its own feed line I have never seen paint being sent through an air line if it gets in there then there is something wrong.

fix
Apprentice
Apprentice

by fix » Thu May 15, 2008 8:51 am

Thanks for the reply i think i messed up what i was trying to say!

The paint would go into the top of the spray gun so would be fed straight into it.

My question was meant to be would a compressor have enough power to push masonry paint through the gun and at the height of a house,its just a standard 2.5bhp compressor but i have quite a long airline that will reach quite high up.

The gun i have is for automotive paint like 2pac.If viscosity is a problem for the compressor can i use something to thin the paint down or will it take away the weather proofing properties

Many thanks!

videoman
Labourer
Labourer

by videoman » Thu May 15, 2008 10:15 pm

I think the biggest problem would be the actual paint capacity of the spray gun as automotive paint is very thin consequently the capacity of standard spray guns is very small.

A good friend of mine has a shotblasting and industrial painting business and he uses an airless spray unit which is basically a large pressurised pot containing the paint to which air pressure is applied which then leads through a pipe to a spray gun.

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Mon May 19, 2008 4:16 pm

I would agree with video man.

The thickness of the paint is such that you would need to thin it down so much you would require loads of coats to get it covering properly and I don't know what effect thinning the paint would have on the durability of the finish.

I remember a friend trying to spray a fence with a spray gun but that paint was too thick also.

johnhoward
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Can i use air compressor with masonry paint?

by johnhoward » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:09 pm

Hi
I am also looking for a best airless paint sprayer for my home and basic outdoor jobs. My budget is no more than 500$, Can anyone help me suggesting best recommend for me?
Thanks, best regards

ricky789
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Can i use air compressor with masonry paint?

by ricky789 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:37 am

johnhoward wrote:Hi
I am also looking for a best airless paint sprayer for my home and basic outdoor jobs. My budget is no more than 500$, Can anyone help me suggesting best recommend for me?
Thanks, best regards

You may use, PointZero Pro Airbrush Air Compressor Twin Piston w/ Tank 1/3 HP.
Price, not more than $200 as I know and it specially built for painting. This compressor also comes with everything you need to get the best results possible. These features include an automatic on/off switch, a water trap to keep your air dry, and a diaphragm regulator to ensure that you get the best pressure every time. Other features include an oil-free pump to allow you to work with edible paints.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:34 am