can I use ant-condensation paint over wallpaper?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ste1982
Apprentice
Apprentice

can I use ant-condensation paint over wallpaper?

Post by ste1982 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:55 am

is it ok to use international anti condensation paint over wallpaper in a bedroom? will it still be effective?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: can I use ant-condensation paint over wallpaper?

Post by welsh brickie » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:15 pm

No, if the condensation is that bad you need to install an air vent and or trickle vents to the windows.

ste1982
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ste1982 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:17 pm

I have already got an air vent near the ceiling and ive got a good dehumidifier,I just need to know if the condensation paint will still work if painted over wallpeper?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:08 am

I have never heard of a condensation paint.Paint will only seal the paper from penitrating damp not condensation.
The moisture occurs from the heat in the room and persons exhalling warm air,conflicting with the cold exterior, the same as in a tent.The air vent you have is obviously not working,so either its blocked or you need to install another.

ste1982
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ste1982 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:52 pm

yeah ive already unblocked it,the paint is supposed to warm the walls here is a link..

Google "paint-direct.co.uk/en-GB/product/703/1639-0-97-0-55.aspx?gclid=CLD4wLPJoqwCFSIhtAodWHKQ1w"

or do you think I should use ronseal anti mould paint instead? I want to fit a trickle vent but it sounds complicated.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Perry525 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:21 pm

The thing is, air vents don't always work as you might expect them to.
An air vent will only work when there is another hole somewhere in the home.
Then depending on the wind direction and speed the air may be moving out or in or not moving at all.
Water vapour is programmed by nature to move towards the nearest cold surface or space.
If you have condensation on a wall, it is because the wall is cold. And that somewhere you have a source of warm wet air. This may just be someone in the room. It may be from a nearby bathroom...the doors being open? Or the kitchen?
If you warm the wall the condensation will move somewhere else, probably a window.
It may be that the air vent is making the wall cold and is causing the problem.
It is never a good idea to have holes in your home as the passing wind will suck your warm our out.
It is better to deal with stale air and water vapour by opening a window, doing this you can judge how strong the wind is, how cold it is outside, how much it is costing you and close it when satisfied.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:48 pm

perry 525 is correct about the condensation issue, and if the vent is not working and your external wall is that cold,its best to insulate it.But I think that trickle vents in the window will have to be installed.

ste1982
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ste1982 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:14 am

wont a good dehumidifier do the trick? also how much is it to get someone to install the trickle vent and who should I ask? I dont want to fit it myself.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:45 am