Can old rimlocks be salvaged?
Post your questions and get answers concerning many areas of this subject

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
FMR
Labourer
Labourer

Can old rimlocks be salvaged?

by FMR » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:22 pm

Our 1920s house has original rimlocks throughout which look great - but none of them work, they're all jammed open or shut, meaning we can't close any doors in the house properly.

Could a locksmith fix them or should we give up and look for new locks? Any idea how much it would cost?

Thanks!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:31 am

FMR,
"Could a locksmith fix them " yes in all probability, take one off and see how much the locksmith will charge for renovation.
end

FyreSide
Labourer
Labourer

A Couple Options

by FyreSide » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Hey there FMR,

I agree with stoneyboy that there is a fair chance that those old locks (or at least some of them) will be fixable. There is a high chance that some of them won't be fixable. Fortunately advancements in metal latches, and even door hinges have made it easier than ever to find classic looking door accessories. Don't think that you cannot still buy iron door parts that match the decor of your older home, just because 90 years old. I would investigate both replacement and repair and decide on a strategy that suits your needs. You may be surprised at what you find.

Cheers.

Catlocks
Labourer
Labourer

by Catlocks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:27 pm

I would say 95% of the rim locks brought into my shop we are able to get working. What we find is the receivers are generally missing and finding replacements can be a problem.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:59 pm