Can plas-pipe be used for electric showers
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rusky27
Labourer
Labourer

Can plas-pipe be used for electric showers

by rusky27 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:36 pm

Hi Ive just recently in the process of installing an electric shower Mira sport. For convenience Ive used pastic piping 15mm instead of copper But Im unsure wether I can comnect directly to the shower using this or If i'd need to attach copper piping to the shower itself. I didnt have any thoughts on this until I bought the shower unit and saw the instructions using a copper I reakon this is'nt an issue but wondered If conecting the plastic pipe directly would be a problem e.g. heat created from shower unit heating up water in tank.
Can anyone advise????

Cpt Nemo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Cpt Nemo » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:33 pm

Hi Rusky

The answer to your question is YES plastic pipe can be connected directly to compression fittings. However, there are few things that will need to be checked and done correctly.

Firstly - the temp/pressure rating of the plastic pipe you are using. For example, Hep20 15mm Barrier pipe is pressure rated for 12Bar @ 20 C and for 7Bar @ 82 C. Your HW to the shower is likely to be in the 60 c temp range so just check that your pipe can handle the pressure at that temp.

Secondly, when making the connection to the compression fitting you will need to use a pipe insert to keep the end of the plastic pipe circular, plus you will need to use a COPPER olive and not a brass one on the compression fitting.

If your shower is push-fit ignore the above section.

Good luck

Cheers
Jim
PS You can find out more about our Weekend Plumbing courses by going to our advert at the bottom of every project on this website.

rusky27
Labourer
Labourer

by rusky27 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:13 pm

Nice one Cap'n that all checks out and Ive set it up with the aluminium inserts.
thanks for the info.
Rusky

thedoctor

Re: Can plas-pipe be used for electric showers

by thedoctor » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am

[quote="rusky27"]Hi Ive just recently in the process of installing an electric shower Mira sport. For convenience Ive used pastic piping 15mm instead of copper But Im unsure wether I can comnect directly to the shower using this or If i'd need to attach copper piping to the shower itself. I didnt have any thoughts on this until I bought the shower unit and saw the instructions using a copper I reakon this is'nt an issue but wondered If conecting the plastic pipe directly would be a problem e.g. heat created from shower unit heating up water in tank.
Can anyone advise????[/quote]

thedoctor

Re: Can plas-pipe be used for electric showers

by thedoctor » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:11 am

MANY OF THE ANSWERS TO YOUR POSTS CAN BE FOUND, WITH DIAGRAMS, IN THE DIYDOCTOR PROJECTS SECTION. CLICK HERE

www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

[quote="rusky27"]Hi Ive just recently in the process of installing an electric shower Mira sport. For convenience Ive used pastic piping 15mm instead of copper But Im unsure wether I can comnect directly to the shower using this or If i'd need to attach copper piping to the shower itself. I didnt have any thoughts on this until I bought the shower unit and saw the instructions using a copper I reakon this is'nt an issue but wondered If conecting the plastic pipe directly would be a problem e.g. heat created from shower unit heating up water in tank.
Can anyone advise????[/quote]

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:12 am

MANY OF THE ANSWERS TO YOUR POSTS CAN BE FOUND, WITH DIAGRAMS, IN THE DIYDOCTOR PROJECTS SECTION. CLICK HERE

www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:26 pm