All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Robert Bowen
Labourer
Labourer

Can't drain bathroom radiator

by Robert Bowen » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:51 pm

Hello,
In the bathroom I am changing a flat panel radiator, to a chromed towel rail.
I have isolated the header tank, and drained the CH sytem using the lowest drain valve.

However, this does not seem to have drained the bathroom radiator.

Do I assume that this is on the primary circuit, and that I will have to drain the hot and cold water tanks, to empty this radiator?

Many thanks.

plastic_man77
Ganger
Ganger

by plastic_man77 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:38 pm

@ Robert Bowen

Silly question, did you open the radiator bleed valves while you were draining the heating system? If not, you have probably drained the small amount of water from your CH F & E tank and then caused an air lock, which is disturbed as you try to open the rad valve joints.

If the above isn't the case, make sure the bleed valve on the bathroom radiator isn't blocked- remove the valve and put a long pin inside. If air can't get in the radiator, water can be held there.

Even if the radiator is off the primary circuit to your hot water cylinder, it will be an indirect cylinder, therefore, it will still drain when you drain the heating. The only time it wont drain properly is if you have a hole in the primary circuit and water is being forced in to your heating system from the Hot Water F & E tank. If you leave your stop tap on but isolate the ball valve to your CH F & E tank by holding the ball valve in the up position with string or similar, then open the drain valve on the heating system, if the ball valve inside the Hot Water F & E tank begins passing water, then you have a breach.

If the primary is breached then you will need to drain the cylinder as well- which should also be replaced, otherwise you will get contaminants from the heating system in your hot water.

Robert Bowen
Labourer
Labourer

by Robert Bowen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:03 am

Hello Plastic Man,
Many thanks for your reply. I did wonder about the bleed valve, but no I didn't open it - I will try that first.

I haven't noticed any problems with the hot water side, re: leaks in the primary circuit. However, I will check for this as well.

Again many thanks for your quick reply

Rob

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:18 am