Can the use of only one radiator damage the boiler?

Postby a_fdez » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:17 pm

Hi, I’m a tenant in a flat built in the 1980s approximately. The boiler in my kitchen is big and I have 5 radiators in total. When I first started using the heating system, I decided to turn off all the radiators except for the one in my bedroom to save some money. The boiler was not working properly, so I called out the plumber. He said that I needed to have at least 4 radiators on in order for the boiler to work, so I did. However, the boiler is still not working. Now the plumber says it’s damaged because I was only using one radiator. Is this possible?
a_fdez
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:26 pm

No, as the thermostat will cut the boiler off when the system reaches temperature - the fewer radiators you have on the quicker it will reach temperature. As long as the stat is working ok, then the boiler will be fine.

Htg
htg engineer

Postby C23kW » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:19 am

aslong as 1 radiator is on then it shudnt matta. If the water within ur system can create and loop (flow to return) then ther is a route for the floe of water and once it reaches it correct temp it will be shut off...

CkW
C23kW
Progress to next rank:
78.9%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!