Postby nigelm » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:00 pm

we built an office over four years ago. it was about half the size of a standard three bed bungalow. but now we want to extend and change the use to a residential building. after applying for planning permission we were told the original building was unauthorised as it was facing wrong direction than that on the approved drawings. i want to know how long the timescale is that it can be erect before the building authority can no longer force you to demolish?
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby Connell » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:50 am

I hope I can help.

From detail you have provided the building itself (operational development) is immune from enforcement action after four years. If this can demonstrated under a certificate of lawfulness then all is well. However, on the face of it you have no lawful use of the building. The use and the operational development in most circumstances are subject to different time periods.

I am a Chartered Town Planner whom has his own consultancy.

Hope this helps.
Progress to next rank:

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!