Can you solvent weld onto orange/brown underground pipe?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Becwood
Labourer
Labourer

Can you solvent weld onto orange/brown underground pipe?

by Becwood » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:42 pm

I have a slight issue! I will mention no names but a job has been done for me by a Gas Safe plumber which involves a condensate pipe going into a soil stack (at low level), the boss used is grey the pipe it goes into is orange, this has failed (very slightly but enough to cause damage over a period of time), my question is, "is it true that you cannot and should not solvent weld to orange"? and "should now this if he was a good plumber"? I am getting mixed info from my local people and would appreciate hearing from anyone of a similar position (qualification wise! not leak!).
Many thanks
Woody

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Can you solvent weld onto orange/brown underground pipe?

by rosebery » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:39 am

I have a slight issue! I will mention no names but a job has been done for me by a Gas Safe plumber which involves a condensate pipe going into a soil stack (at low level), the boss used is grey the pipe it goes into is orange, this has failed (very slightly but enough to cause damage over a period of time), my question is, "is it true that you cannot and should not solvent weld to orange"? and "should now this if he was a good plumber"? I am getting mixed info from my local people and would appreciate hearing from anyone of a similar position (qualification wise! not leak!).
Many thanks
Woody[/quote]

OK then a few things. The orange/brown soil pipe is for underground usage. Above ground is black or grey. How come you have brown above ground?

Most underground drainage is pushfit and made of polypropylene which you should NOT solvent weld. Polypipe, however, do make a solvent weld version of their underground drainage system. Whether the brown pipe he has terminated to should be above ground or not the question os is it solvent weld compatible? I suspect it isn't and yes he should know that in reality.

What is the size of the condensate drain - it should be 32mm BTW. Did he lag it?

He was, however, quite right to terminate into an existing pipe to stop cold winds screaming up the condensate pipe and causing freezing issues.

The answer, to my mind, is to get him back and fix the problem. It can't have been done that long ago.

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:37 pm