CAN YOU USE A FLUE FITTED FOR A GAS FIRE FOR A WOODBURNER?
Accounts and book-keeping for builders plus mortgage and remortgage information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rita Kirk
Labourer
Labourer

CAN YOU USE A FLUE FITTED FOR A GAS FIRE FOR A WOODBURNER?

by Rita Kirk » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:17 pm

I have a gas fire and a metal flue that was professionally fitted into the chimney in my house some 3 years ago. I am now thinking of replacing the gas fire with a woodburner. It is possible to re-use the existing flue; or will I have to arrange for a new one to be fitted (ie specific for a woodburner)?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:44 pm

Rita Kirk,
Depends on the diameter of the flue liner which was installed, the minimum for wood burners is 125mm.
end

steveo2463
Labourer
Labourer

by steveo2463 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi
It does not depend on the diameter, it does depend on the class of liner. Class one is for solid fuel and class 2 is for class 2 gas (1 has a natural draw the other does not). The older open gas grates used a class one 180mm or 200mm id liner and the class 2 liners were/are mainly 125 or 100mm (occasionally 150mm). Class one is 316 grade and double skinned with w 10 year warranty (you could also use 904 grade with a woodburner which has a 20 year gaurantee). Gas class 2 is single skinned and will burn out straight away if used on solid fuel.
A hetas registered person should install or you could get a builder to do this and have the work signed off by buildiung regs however the liner should be data plated and the stove certificated. You will also need a CO alarm to room.

Ryder
Labourer
Labourer

by Ryder » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:17 am

steveo2463 wrote:Hi
It does not depend on the diameter, it does depend on the class of liner. Class one is for solid fuel and class 2 is for class 2 gas (1 has a natural draw the other does not). The older open gas grates used a class one 180mm or 200mm id liner and the class 2 liners were/are mainly 125 or 100mm (occasionally 150mm). Class one is 316 grade and double skinned with w 10 year warranty (you could also use 904 grade with a woodburner which has a 20 year gaurantee). Gas class 2 is single skinned and will burn out straight away if used on solid fuel.
A hetas registered person should install or you could get a builder to do this and have the work signed off by buildiung regs however the liner should be data plated and the stove certificated. You will also need a CO alarm to room.

Completely agree with you..!!
It depends on the class of the liner and Class one is for solid fuel and class 2 is for class 2 gas and class 1 has a natural draw which other don't have..!! :)

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:53 am