Cannot decided what type of all I have!
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mbe
Labourer
Labourer

Cannot decided what type of all I have!

by mbe » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:08 pm

Newbie here without a clue. Thought I had normal plasterboard/stud wall between my kitchen and living room. I purchased the correct screws/spring type fittings for plasterboard but now that I have dmade many holes into the kitchen wall, I cannot find a gap behind the plasterboard. I can only describe it as a very thick piece of plasterboard about 2-3 "! Its definately plasterboard as its so easy to make a hole in and I'm not hitting wood. When I've made the hole, I can see a section of white then grey then white then I come through on the other side. Any ideas?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:01 pm

Hi mbe,
How old is the house you live in?
I ask this question because they used to put what was called a plank board inside/between the plasterboards on stud partion walls. The plank was about an inch thick, sometimes it would be double boarded with either the plank or the outer boards. This was for sound-proofing, insolation etc. There was not a lot of timber/steel stud work in these types of wall, usually along top and bottom and up both sides. This was very popular in the late 70's to mid 90's. This could be what you have in your house.
Regards KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:02 am