cant get 1 radiatoror pipes hot?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
galey2000
Labourer
Labourer

cant get 1 radiatoror pipes hot?

by galey2000 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:36 pm

I know this topic has been done to death but I cant solve this at all!!
1. I have a radiator in my house extension.
2.Periodically it just stops working. Normally after any kind of work on the ch system. This is normally fixed by either bleeding or closing all the other valvelocks on the radfs.

This time it hasn't worked. plumber has drained the system twice following a bathroom refit and balanced the rads. Unfortunately this one will not play. the pies at either side are cold as is the radiator. no sludge in system.

When all the other rads are closed the boiler still fires up but I have no idea where the hot water is circulating to.

I bled a large bucket of water from this radiator, the inlet pipe warmed up slightly, but then no further improvement.

The rad before this has a red hot inlet pipe and only a medium hot outlet.

all valves are ok as its been balanced and checked.

Lastly, the plumber who put this rad in suggested? that the valves may be on the wrong ends but said it shouldn't be a problem? Is theer any way to check if this is the case as I may have misunderstood. Many Thanks for any help.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:31 pm

The valves shouldn't be the problem unless the TRV is stuck in the closed position.

It seems like this part of the system becomes airlocked everytime you drain the system, you can do as you have done before - remove the radiator and allow water to flow through each pipe into a bucket - you may hear the air escape, then replace the radiator. Vent the radiator and see if that works.

What type of system ? boiler make/model ?

htg

galey2000
Labourer
Labourer

by galey2000 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi, will try that as soon as its not so cod (don't want to end up with no heating at all). I have an ideal 32kw condensing boiler, been in about a year. TRV definitly not stuck, possibly on the outlet not the inlet?

Many Thanks

galey2000
Labourer
Labourer

Airlock? and naging wife help please

by galey2000 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:54 am

Furthger to this problem. I have tried turning off all the rads and the trv to this one. Then bled the water back from the return. This got hot eventually. However I think this must be from other arts of the system as when I run the ch with just this rad turned on the boiler [b]does not[/b] fire up. I think it may be an airlock, but I ran 4 buckets of water of this rad while filling via the loop. Think may be in the pipe tyhat goes back to the boiler (ideal 32 kw condensing boiler) but no idea how to get it out
Any ideas reall appreciated as its v cold in leeds and wife is nagging.

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1