carbon monoxide detectors
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
terry38102
Apprentice
Apprentice

carbon monoxide detectors

Post by terry38102 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:59 pm

hi there this might sound daft but just wandered if you need a carbon monoxide alarm with a combi boiler?

the reason i am asking is because my mum has had british gas service her combi boiler for the past couple of years and they keep trying to sell her a carbon monoxide alarm. it is a ex council house the council put in a new heating system not long before she bought it she had a alarm with her old boiler. when they put new one in they said she does not need one with a combi boiler. i also have a council house with combi boiler and the last time it got serviced i asked the guy about it and he said you dont need one.

i have also heard stories on the internet about the alarm going off and transco shutting off the gas till a gas engineer came round( 2-3 days later) and finding nothing wrong with the boiler

having heard stories about british gas i just wandered what you guys thought about it.

thanks.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: carbon monoxide detectors

Post by htg engineer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:30 pm

If a modern combi boiler they will be room sealed (combustion air taken from outside), as long as they are only worked on by Registered Gas Installers and are installed and maintained as per manufacturers instructions then no you don't NEED a CO alarm, however alot of people like them for peace of mind.

You are right though, Transco - which is now 9 separate Gas Networks, will not work on appliances and will only make the installation safe (isolate) if you report a smell of gas or possible fumes for a gas appliance.

terry38102
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by terry38102 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:08 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]If a modern combi boiler they will be room sealed (combustion air taken from outside), as long as they are only worked on by Registered Gas Installers and are installed and maintained as per manufacturers instructions then no you don't NEED a CO alarm, however alot of people like them for peace of mind.

You are right though, Transco - which is now 9 separate Gas Networks, will not work on appliances and will only make the installation safe (isolate) if you report a smell of gas or possible fumes for a gas appliance.[/quote]

thanks for the reply yes it is a modern combi boiler.

i know what you mean though although it would not do any harm to have one i cant help but wander if they are on commision to sell you unesesary items like this. the last guy who did it did not explain like you have done just said you have to have one. its like they are trying to freighten people into buying one even though they dont need it. ever since bg took over the servicing of the boiler it seems to break down fairly reguler. the boiler is a ideal isar and for some reason(probobaly because of the usuall cheap crap the council give you) bg were the only ones who would take it on. have you done much work on those boilers? just wandered why no one will take it on even the company who used to service it for the council did not want to know.

MrCOdetector
Labourer
Labourer

Post by MrCOdetector » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:11 pm

Hello,

I would say the same as terry38102 above - it's certainly worth installing a CO detector for that peace of mind.

Just ensure you install an alarm correctly, by that I mean placement which should be around 300mm down from the ceiling (best) or at eye level if you have one with a digital display.

Craig

jaybarr
Labourer
Labourer

Post by jaybarr » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:32 am

The placement of the carbon monoxide detector in your home matters.I bought a CO monitoring alarm from canadian security professionals a few years back.There are some things you have to remember before you place the CO monitoring alarm in your house. You should place them on every level of your home for maximum protection. You get the best reading of your home’s air when you place it five feet from the ground. It’s good if you place these detectors near your bed or any sleeping area. If the CO level gets too high in the night, it’s important that these detectors are heard by everyone. Cars produce a lot of carbon monoxide while they are running. If you have an attached garage, these fumes can easily spread to the rest of your house.Placing a CO detector near your garage can warn you in case if an emergency arrises. There are some places that you should avoid though. You should never place the CO alarm close to any fuel-burning appliance.Bathroom is one place that you should avoid.A humid place is not a good place to install your CO alarm. Avoid direct sunlight. Never place near any sources of blowing air such as a fan, vent or an open window.Do not place it within the reach of pets or children.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Post by collectors » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:50 am

Hammerbill
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Hammerbill » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:25 pm

I am a gas safe engineer, the combi you have is not a very reliable one,they have been known to melt through the heat exchanger if not properly serviced. i would definitively fit a Co alarm.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:57 pm