Carbon Monoxide the Silent Killer!! have a look
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bay Plumbing
Tradesman
Tradesman

Carbon Monoxide the Silent Killer!! have a look

by Bay Plumbing » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:42 pm

LIVES are being put at risk across the region due to faulty gas appliances spewing out carbon monoxide gas - dubbed the Silent Killer.

On average, 50 people die a year in the UK from carbon monoxide poisoning, which causes symptoms such as dizziness, headaches and nausea.

In a home, a defective flue caused a carbon monoxide leak and, in another, a gradual build up of the gas was detected.

[u][b]Danger signs are boiler pilot light flames burning orange, instead of blue; sooty stains on or near appliances and excessive condensation in the room[/b][/u][quote][/quote]

Bay Plumbing
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Bay Plumbing » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:29 pm

Good to see that 26 people have had a look at this, please let me know your views on the goverments way of dealing with this "Silent Killer" do they need to make the public more aware of this ?

Thanks
Mark

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:28 pm

Hi, I think Gov. don't do enough to publicise many things, how many people think our speed limit is still 50MPH ? & most people still don't know whats covered by bldg regs to mention a couple.
Personally I won't have a gas pipe/appliance anywhere near my home, electric / solar much safer & more efficient, but I would believe that wouldn't I & thats not what you want to hear I'm sure!!
Good luck with campaign to make folks aware but don't expect Gordon the Moron to help much, he's too busy dreaming up more ways to steal our hard-earned, B.W.
SPARX

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:46 am

I think there's enough done to publicise the risk of carbon monoxide, councils and private tenants have there gas service carrided out annually.

Why do homeowners think landlords have services carried out annually if it's not needed ?

It's the home owners that don't have their boiler serviced annually, not sure why this is, is it the fact of paying for the service, or is it just something that never gets done.

I think having your annual gas service carried out should be a legal requirement like it is for landlord's. It should be wrote into house insurance and certificate's should have to be provided annually when the insurance is due.

Hefty fines should be given to those that don't have the services carried out.

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:12 pm

I totaly concur with htg. engineer, just as a car needs to be serviced and safety checked so should a boiler have an mot style check up. There is no good reason why this should not be the case.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1