Cavity alcove
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
readsta
Labourer
Labourer

Cavity alcove

by readsta » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:32 am

Hello.

I'm looking to build an alcove into the dry wall cavity. Does anyone know if/how this can be done and if cutting through a stud will cause any problems?

TiA

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi,
A bit more detail of project and i'll do my best to help.
Regards
KB

readsta
Labourer
Labourer

by readsta » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi KB.

Well, I'm looking to cut into the plasterboard in our bedroom and construct an alcove measuring 150cm wide x 10cm high x 10cm deep just above the bed giving storage room in an otherwise typically small new-build bedroom.

I plan to contruct a trough out of plywood to form the alcove.

Then, I would glue a batten against the inner wall for the back of the alcove to rest upon and screw battens around the inside of the opening using drywall screws.

I'll then insert the alcove into the cavity and glue the back face against the exposed inner wall using no more nails. Once in place, I would screw the alcove into the battens.

Does it sound viable? I've looked around on the internet and cannot find any example of doing this (maybe it's a bad idea!)

The only obstruction I can gather is the studding every 600mm.
Will cutting a stud cause any problems?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:09 am

readsta,
So it's an internal stud wall?
Like you said the only problem is the uprights in the stud wall being every 600mm centres, this means that you will chop at least two of these out. It's not something i'd recommend, chopping out uprights. They may not be used structually but they do carry and support weight of Plasterboards. You could also come across pipe work and wiring that are routed in that area. I'd consider may be running them between the uprights and having 3 or 4 independant alcoves, leaving uprights untouched.
A lot of hard work for the gain of little storage space.
Once you've cut out plasterboard i'd run some timber across top, sides and bottom of cut out of alcove and screw in either side of wall, to fit between/inside the cavity.
Regards
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:06 pm