Cavity Tray
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Oznarda
Labourer
Labourer

Cavity Tray

by Oznarda » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:35 am

I have just had an inspection by the council and have been advised that I need to install a cavity tray. However having spoken to a builder he suggested that if the planning application was approved prior to this being a requirement then I could avoid installing the tray, planning was approved about 4 years ago. Does anyone know when cavity trays became a requirement or where I could find out.

Thanks
John

sparrow
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sparrow » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:51 pm

Dodgy builder really John. The building regs are there to protect you and your property. If you have added a building to an outside wall that wall has now become an inside wall. If any water gets into the cavity, as it regularly does, there is a danger (because it can no longer soak through the wall and evapourate) of it making damp or cold spots on your new "inside" wall. This is why a cavity tray is inserted and to omit it is asking for trouble. People do not think twice about changing a car tyre when its a bit worn but are continually taking chances with a huge investment like a house because some builders give advice which is at best appalling.

Oznarda
Labourer
Labourer

by Oznarda » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:42 am

Thanks Sparrow, builder booked to come and sort at the weekend!

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:53 pm

MANY OF THE ANSWERS TO YOUR POSTS CAN BE FOUND, WITH DIAGRAMS, IN THE DIYDOCTOR PROJECTS SECTION. CLICK HERE www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:01 am