Cavity wall below DPC
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Andy Fielding
Labourer
Labourer

Cavity wall below DPC

by Andy Fielding » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi, I am building an extension to my house and being "Ex" building trade (Chippie) I thought I would do the start of the work to DPC myself. The problem I have is that where i have come through the cavity wall with a soil pipe for the ground floor Wc, I don't know what to do around the pipe. I have placed Lintels over the pipe which now runs through a square ish whole with about 50mm clear all round. What do I now do to stop the following.
A) backfill going in the whole around the pipe from outside
B) lean mix in the cavity coming out of the hole.
C) MOT/hardcore falling in from inside
c) insulation from above falling in (will be "blown" with insulation when wall complete)
Everybody seems to have different ideas but no difinitive answer.
Any help appreciated

brickpat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Cavity wall below DPC

by brickpat » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:26 pm

[quote="Andy Fielding"]Hi, I am building an extension to my house and being "Ex" building trade (Chippie) I thought I would do the start of the work to DPC myself. The problem I have is that where i have come through the cavity wall with a soil pipe for the ground floor Wc, I don't know what to do around the pipe. I have placed Lintels over the pipe which now runs through a square ish whole with about 50mm clear all round. What do I now do to stop the following.
A) backfill going in the whole around the pipe from outside
B) lean mix in the cavity coming out of the hole.
C) MOT/hardcore falling in from inside
c) insulation from above falling in (will be "blown" with insulation when wall complete)
Everybody seems to have different ideas but no difinitive answer.
Any help appreciated[/quote]pack it with stiffish mortar and then smooth it with a pointing trowel round the pipe,don't forget to keep your cavity fill at least 150mm below dpc. Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:35 pm