cavity wall insulation and plasterboard reveals
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vegman
Labourer
Labourer

cavity wall insulation and plasterboard reveals

by vegman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:09 am

I am thinking of having cavity wall insulation done, and on balance it seems a good idea, with little risk of problems given my location, structure of house etc. One thing that does concern me is that the window reveals seem to be just plasterboard across the cavity - there is no brick at right angles to the wall. I think this probably goes back to when double glazing was fitted and the windows may have been enlarged slightly. Anyway, this would mean that the insulation would be packed up behind the plasterboard in the reveals. Is this advisable, or could it cause damp problems?

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:25 am

We have a similar thing where a new doorway was put through the old external wall into a garage conversion. The sides of the doorway are just MDF accross the cavity and I wonder if this would potentially cause a problem in the future if the cavity was insulated.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:18 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/ , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:39 am