CCTV
Find answers to popular questions or post your own regarding any aspect of home entertainment

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bluenun
Ganger
Ganger

CCTV

by bluenun » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 pm

Hello all,

I want to buy and install a CCTV camera in the porch looking out towards my doorbell.

Is it best to go for black and white or colour?

Also can anyone tell me the important things to look for in a CCTV camera?

Toolstation and Argos sell them, are there better places to go?

I want the camera to be activated by a PIR motion sensor and for the image to appear on my (non digital) TV which I get the signal through my set top box.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:43 am

See our project on Home and Garden Security. www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm There is a Company in there whi sell CCTV and will be pleased to help you with advice

bluenun
Ganger
Ganger

by bluenun » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:38 pm

[quote="thedoctor"]See our project on Home and Garden Security. www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm There is a Company in there whi sell CCTV and will be pleased to help you with advice[/quote]

Ok, I went to that site, a lot of it is still under construction and not very user friendly.

I understand Black and White will show more detail in low light compared to colour.

B&Q sell a Micromark wireless scanning receiver and B&W PIR camera for £75.

Anyone here used a wireless system before?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:24 pm

Colour cameras have moved on a lot recently, but basically the difference is with low light. Colour cameras cannot render colour information well because the incoming light has to be split into the three primary colours, so only black and white gives good results in low light.

Generally there are two things to consider. Firstly, resolution. Standard normal definition tv transmits at 600 horizontal lines. VHS only manages to record 400 lines so look for cameras that will operate at these levels. Many cheap cameras only show 260 lines.

Light levels are also important. A reasonable camera will work at 1lux, but for real low level or where IR illumination will be used, look for a camera that will work at 0.1lux. 1lux works in a artificially lit room, and 0.1 lux will work in torchlight.

Try looking at Maplins or rswww.com (rs-online).

mykah093
Labourer
Labourer

by mykah093 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:14 am

These days the world is faced with many potential hazards be it in your home or work place, everyone wants to prevent them. So if you are going to buy a CCTV camera, you should consider many things. Some of them are the system, lenses and signal of CCTV camera and more.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:21 pm