CEILING FAN DISASTER TOO MANY LIVE WIRES IN CEILING
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
willsmyster
Labourer
Labourer

CEILING FAN DISASTER TOO MANY LIVE WIRES IN CEILING

by willsmyster » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:16 pm

I TRIED TO WIRE UP A CEILING FAN BUT AM HAVING MAJOR HEAD ACHE I HAVE 2 GREY WIRES WITH A RED AND A BLACK IN EACH . BOTH BLACKS ARE LIVE AND SO IS ONE OF THE REDS. WHICH DO I WIRE TO THE FANS LIVE / NEUTRAL / EARTH. HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP . ALSO NO MATTER WHICH WAY I WIRE IT THE LIGHT SWITCH IS CONSTANTLY LIVE. HAD IT WIRED SOMETIME AGO LEFT THE SWITCH ON AND IT COMES ON ON ITS OWN AFTER A COUPLE OF HOURS / DAYS. COULD THE FAN BE KNACKERED.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:24 pm

Hi, something worrying here!! one red & two blks live... No way!
If you are testing with a ruddy neon screw driver THROW IT AWAY they are totally misleading!!!!
you make no mention of earths, are there any? if so sleeve and connect to earth term.
I presume you are at ceiling light and if so the 2 reds would be in a spare connector the blk from one cable would be in Neutral term of light and the other blk is sw/live back to L of light (it should be marked with red tape/sleeving), your fan L&N connect to these 2 also, if still unsure get professional help please,regards SPARX

Tortoise
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Tortoise » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi Sparx,

Probably a naive question - what's the problem with neon mains-testing screwdrivers?!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:55 pm

Hi Tortoise,
because they have no return reference point the tester will see any floating voltage around the system which may only be induced voltage from an adjacent core.
Same applies to a digital multimeter, hold the probes in the air near a powered circuit and see a reading!
Neon lights , maybe pick up, maybe neutral with broken connection, maybe live! who knows?
Using multi neon two connection type tester totally different as they need ref. Neutral/Earth to show a live, not fool proof but much better.
The latter type being the only ones acceptable for proving isolation for Electricity at Work regs.
I will not use a neon test driver myself & i've been leckie since 1960's and seen experienced sparkies chase their tails using one to fault find!
So don't recommend them to anyone posting on here as I believe they are dangerously misleadeing to the unwary,
regards SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:26 pm