ceiling fan installation
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rows37
Labourer
Labourer

ceiling fan installation

Post by rows37 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:17 am

Please help.... i have a ceiling fan i want to installin my bedroom, but the connection up there already has 3 green yellow wires going into it, 2 black wires and 4 red wires, i know this has to come out as i need to fix the fan plate to the ceiling but the fan has only 1 live 1 nuetral and 1 earth fitting what do i do.
Thanks

Ross
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling fan alternative method of terminating

Post by Ross » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:23 pm

would assume that you have a ceiling rose and lampholder. If you are not confident in removing existing cables from ceiling rose you could consider isolating mains supply to that lighting circuit Removing the two wood screws from c/rose cutting a slot in the plaster board then slide the rose through the sloted hole into the loft ready to connect fan to secure c/rose to joist.Make sure all connections are tight before you begin, turning the rose on its side may loosen cables. you may have to provide further fixing for new fan ie wood batten. The extra large hole you cut will be covered by fan plate as they are usualy very large. Finaly secure fan fit a short new cable or flex to fan .Connect to existing c/rose brown cable to sw wire[iether red or black single cable sleeved red] blue cable to black ie same terminals as original flex to lampholder then most important connect fan earth to green yellow earth in loft ceiling rose.If you have any doubt about your ability to make electrical connections call a part P contractor.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:22 am