Ceiling Fixings for a suspended clothes drying horse
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
archmoco
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling Fixings for a suspended clothes drying horse

by archmoco » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:44 am

Can you help. I am looking to fixed a suspended clothes drying horse from my ceiling. The ceiling is plasterboard, on battens fixed to a concrete plank floor (living room above). I dont want to try and fix through to the battens and I was thinking of toggle fixings for plasterboard . I am worried that the toggle and plasterboard will not take the weight of the wooden frame with all the wet clothes. Should I drilling straight through to get a fixing into the concrete plank? If so what fixings would anyone recommend? Or would the toggle fixing be sufficent?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:59 pm

archmoco,
Fixing just into the plaserboard will definately not be strong enough, you will need to fix into the concrete beams. I don't know how you will be able to avoid the joins between the beams or the steel reinforcement which will probably be present in the beams. Overall don't do it!
end

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:19 am

Hi,

I would go thru battens into concrete ONLY, using frame fixings or hammer screws.

Hth

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:53 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:05 pm