ceiling joist supports

Postby July » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:04 am

Hi All,

On removing a lath and plaster ceiling above the stairs , the ceiling joist is loose.
The ceiling was supported by three ceiling joists of approx 3 inches by 2 1/4. These are running at an angle of approx 45 degrees (Paralell with the stairs) They run on the underside of a 10 x 4 inch perlin which has been notched out on the underside, to allow the joists to be flush with the bottom of the perlin. The joist is not secured to the perlin and is loose. The perlin is horizontal and at an angle of approx 90 degrees to the joists.

The length of the joists is approx 2 meters. Each end are flush with ceiling joist running horizontally, and appear to be fixed by nails.

The underside will need to take a plasterboard ceiling, the above would not need to be weightbearing as such but will need to take the weight of people should they walk on these joists when in the loft.

I cannot find anyting suitable, ie as joist hangers are for joists running at 90 degrees when these arerunning at approx 45 degrees.

I would appreciate any advice on how I can secure this.
July

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby xavi99 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:16 am

Try looking for Simpson Strong Tie on the net. They do lots of different brackets, joists hangers etc,.
xavi99

Postby Perry525 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:59 pm

I would expect the joists to be nailed?
Have you ascertained how the others are fixed?
A 1/4 inch nail can support three tonnes.
Perry525

Sort by
Order by