Ceiling light quandry
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
williamj
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ceiling light quandry

by williamj » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:14 pm

I wanted to move a ceiling light about 14" to one side. On dismantling the existing lampholder, I could see that there were three earths, three lives and three neutrals. The earths and lives were all twisted together and two of the neutrals. The third neutral was connected to the "third" connection on the top of the lamp holder. There was no ceiling rose. I marked the single neutral wire. In the new required position The wiring in the attic directly above neft me enough slack to simply drop the wiring through the new hole. I fitted a new ceiling rose. I secured the three earths to their connection. Then the three (red) lives to the central three connection points on the rose. I connected the two neutrals which were originally together to the other set of three points on the rose. The single marked neutral I connected to the pair of two on the rose. I am getting power to the bulb but cannot turn it off!! Clearly I have got something connected in the wrong place but try as I may, I cannot get it right. Any ideas please?

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:49 pm

What you are calling a "single neutral wire" I think you will find is switched Line and it is this not the Reds which should go to your light.
Eric

williamj
Apprentice
Apprentice

by williamj » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:51 pm

Thanks for that input and in daylight I will have another look. The "single neutral" wire comes from another direction in the attic and I can only assume is linked to some other light. At the moment I cannot find anything wrong with other lighting. It was screwed directly onto the "third" terminal on the original lampholder. Thanks

williamj
Apprentice
Apprentice

by williamj » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:31 pm

Many thanks. Problem now sorted. Wrong bits in the wrong places!

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:33 pm

Have a look at http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Lighting.html it has a number of wiring diagrams maybe you will understand with a diagram.
Eric

williamj
Apprentice
Apprentice

by williamj » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:01 pm

Nice one thanks. I have printed it as there is bound to be a next time! :roll:

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:47 pm

Do remember it is a personal think and not checked by anyone else so there may be errors.
Eric

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:58 pm