ceiling light wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
willow
Labourer
Labourer

ceiling light wiring

by willow » Mon May 28, 2007 5:48 pm

Hello
All i'm trying to do is wire in a ceiling light , i have a diagram that came with the fitting , i've got 3 red , 2 black , 2 green/yellow , 1 blue & 1 plain yellow . It seems to me that i have a blue wire i don't know what to do with & what is the yellow for ? Perhaps i'm just a bit simple but if you could help i would be grateful .
Thanks Willow .

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon May 28, 2007 6:13 pm

HI Willow,
Normally would refer you to projects for drawing but you have non standard set up!
you seem to have 1 twin+e (Red + Black) plus 1 - 3core + e
(Red, Yellow, Blue) with blue not used?
if so red from 2core is live in, which goes in spare 'loop-in' term. in ceiling rose, or if 'fancy' fitting in spare term block, also other Red from 3core goes with it, this then takes Live to sw.
Black goes to neutral term in fitting, (may have Blue flex to it).
Yellow is switched live back to fittings Live connection (may have Brown flex to it).
Blue needs to be taped up as not in use for your set up, it could have been for say a fan type light?
regards SPARX

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

willow

by Jeffmo » Mon May 28, 2007 6:14 pm

check out what colours you have in your switch , if you have red yellow and blue , then it is wired up for 2way connection so if no other switch operating light then 3 core cable as been used instead of two core on your switch cable . Get back to us with switch config and either myself or one of the other guys will help you out. it shouldn't be a major problem .regards Jeff

willow
Labourer
Labourer

by willow » Mon May 28, 2007 7:07 pm

Thanks very much , now things are a bit clearer
Willow

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:10 am